Home

It's good to be home after being in England for about 5 weeks.  I've been home for nearly two weeks now and it has taken that long to settle back down.  I was clobbered by jet-lag and a puffy foot that wouldn't feel better and necessitated an ultra sound to make sure there was no blood clot.  There wasn't and it's better now.  

I've come home to a California that is hot, sun bleached, and dusty dry.  For the last few days we've been gently covered by a layer of smoke from the fires burning north of San Francisco.  The particles filter the sunlight and obscure the hills on each side of us.  We're told to stay inside if we are sensitive to it but it is over 100f and not pleasant to be outside anyway!  

I woke at 3am this morning, too hot and unable to go back to sleep.  At 7.30am, I'm showered and eating breakfast outside by the pool trying to decide whether to read the copy of Country Living that arrived on Saturday or  my book.  The book wins out, "Garlic And Sapphires - The Secret Life Of A (restaurant) Critic In Disguise" by Ruth Reichl , and I enjoy my greek yogurt with local berries and figs whilst reading about Reichl's experiences in New York.  Soon it will be too hot to be out here and I will head back indoors and start my Monday.  










Comments

Popular Posts