A Momentous Day


This week I became a U.S. Citizen.  It was time.  We've lived here for nearly 20 years.  My daughter was born here but my husband, son and I have been here on Green Cards.  We applied for citizenship in early January and so the whole process has taken about 4 months.  It was very straightforward and everyone at our local Naturalization Office was really friendly and helpful.  This week was the Oath Ceremony, the final step to citizenship.  It was held in a theater and there were nearly 400 of us that day, from over 50 countries.  



I felt a bit emotional on the morning of the ceremony.  I think it hit me that it was such a big step in our lives.  I calmed down with my last cup of tea as an "Alien" before getting ready per the instructions we had received (solemn occasion - no jeans or flip flops!).  I really, really dislike dressing up.  I'm a jeans/yoga pants and t-shirt girl, I had to buy a dress for the day, and shoes but buying shoes is always fun!


This beautiful rose caught my eye on the way out.  I have roses down the path to my front door and in the front of the house.  They are all fragrant old English style roses and are so pretty at the moment.  


Inside those envelopes we are holding are our Citizenship Certificates, voter registration forms and passport application forms.  We are looking forward to having a say in how our tax dollars are used and to voting in local and national elections.  The ceremony was on Thursday and at the beginning of the week I got a jury summons in the mail for late May!  And so it begins.













Comments

Popular Posts