Feels Like Fall, Smells Like Fall, Tastes Like Fall

It's Thanksgiving next week.  It hardly seems any time since we were swimming in the mountain lakes.  Those same lakes are probably starting to freeze over by now.  In my neck of the woods it is really feeling like Fall.  The skies are still blue and our day time temperatures are still warm but the nights are colder and this morning when I drove my daughter to school at 7.30am, I could smell woodsmoke.  

I took pictures on my walk this morning.  Everywhere looked so lovely and I was blown away that even with our terrible drought, the trees have the energy to put on such a show.  They make me think of fireworks.  I haven't edited any of these photos!







I've had a very productive morning and am going to sit and do some sewing now.   I made cranberry sauce this morning which made the house smell festive.  The recipe I use is from "Bon Appetit" magazine.  It is sweet, tangy and spicy.  I've made enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I'll probably make some more while I can get the cranberries.  


Here's the recipe,

1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
3/4 apple cider (juice)
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 12oz bag of cranberries
1 pear or apple
1/4 cup peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
pinch of salt


Dissolve the sugar in the apple cider and vinegar.  Add everything else and boil for about 20 minutes until thickened.  Use a splatter guard if you have one because exploding cranberries make a mess!  While this is boiling, sterilize some jars in a 250f oven.  I always put the ladle and funnel in to sterilize too.  When the sauce has thickened ladle it into the hot jars and put on the lids.  Be sure to lick the ladle when it has cooled down, yum.   







Comments

Popular Posts